Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Baby Update - almost 39 Weeks

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted anything. Last week was a little hectic. Not only was John out of town but my boss left town for one last trip prior to me leaving. Well Murphy's Law struck and something had to come up! Some unexpected issues with my blood pressure spiking and some concerns with the baby size arose. I was measuring 33CM and should have been closer to 38CM since I was 38 weeks along. They placed me on partial bed rest until the baby comes and ran some tests to see if I was getting preeclamsia again (I had that with Mason but it was labor induced and obviously we both fared through it just fine). They also did an ultrasound to check the size of the baby and make sure my fluid levels were still okay. The baby was measuring around 6lbs, and the fluid was on the low end of normal, but still normal at this point. Everything is measuring right around 50% with the exception of the baby's abdomen which caused a little concern b/c it can me a couple things when just the abdomen is small. One, it can be an indication of preeclamsia. So far all of the tests have been negative but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't develop at some point. The second thing it could indicate is the placenta is getting too old and is no longer providing enough nourishment to the baby. I have to visit the doctor twice a week now to check my blood pressure, have a non stress test for the baby, and an ultrasound to check the fluid and placenta - all at every appointment! At each appointment, they will be determining whether I get to go home and keep the baby cooking a little longer, or if they’ll admit me and we’ll be having a baby. The baby is healthy and everything is fine with us both but some extra caution is needed at this point. Our next appointment is this Friday afternoon. Thank you to everyone for their support, warm wishes, and offers of help! We will keep you all updated the best we can!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and your partial bed-rest and doctor visits. No fun! Can't wait to find out if Shim is a boy or a girl!